Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Church of Mac Go Home

Lemme just say I have total Mac lappy lust. I look at the machines some of my cohort are using and just want one. But, I can't go there. I just can't stand you people and your zealotry.

It's icky.

Here's an example: I was at the IA Summit in Vancouver at the end of March. Samantha Starmer from Microsoft (and a UW iSchool grad) did a session on getting execs to buy off on IA. It was a great, energetic presentation. (As an ex-microsoftie, I gotta say she nailed it. That girl's going places in the company). The one snag: her slides stopped working about halfway through.

I couldn't believe it. People in the crowd were positively snarky. "Get a mac," "Microsoft sucks,"and "Weak," were comments I heard.

To her credit she soldiered on and got the issue resolved by the end -- which, just from observation seemed not to be Windows related at all. Instead, I think the VGA cable wasn't making a connection or something.

The very next day, Dan Brown did a session on "New Strategies for Content Management." Now, it was an solid session (the Content & Templates tied directly to my last quarter's cataloging class which, in turn, made me like this tuition wasn't a total waste!) that focused on trying to apply new metaphors to our content processes. Good stuff.

The interesting thing was, his slides didn't work either. It kind of became a joke -- he'd be ready to advance a slide and would wonder out loud if it was going to work. Mass uproar, right?

Nope. No one said a thing.

Of course, Dan was using a Mac and as a contractor he works with much more popular organizations than Microsoft -- like the postal service and homeland security.

What is up with attitude mac folks? You are scaring me off your sexy white computers.

I'm elitist enough all by myself. I don't need need to saddle my computing choice with that baggage, too.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?